News

News | Published February 20 2020

Leaders Council: Ex-NI secretary says Stormont deal had PM's support

Former Northern Ireland secretary Julian Smith has said that the Stormont restoration deal was not behind his sacking in last week's cabinet reshuffle and that the agreement had the full approval of prime minister Boris Johnson, the Leaders Council of Great Britain & Northern Ireland reports. 

Speculation had emerged since last Thursday's cabinet reshuffle that prime minister Boris Johnson chose to dispense with Smith over elements linked to the legacy of the Troubles within the Stormont deal, which the ex-NI secretary had brokered.

However, Smith has since written in the Spectator to offer his perspective, and claimed that the deal was seen and supported by the prime minister.

Smith wrote: "On Wednesday night the Times reported my expected fate, suggesting the reason for the chop was that Downing Street had been unaware of key details of the deal to restore Stormont.

"I was grateful for the opportunity to confirm to the journalist that a PM does not sign off a key government deal without reading it first."

The full report may be read on the Leaders Council of Great Britain & Northern Ireland website here.



Related Stories

Authored by

William Winter
Contributor
@theparlreview
February 20 2020

Featured Organisations

Franklin Underwood

Collin Franklin founded his accountancy firm alone in 1992 when he was 26. It wasn’t until around ten years later that Gary Underwood joined, and from... Read more

Gosha

Managing Director Mustafa Fuat founded his company in 1996 with the vision of creating luxury and high-end womenswear. Prior to establishing the busin... Read more

Dorchester Middle School

Caroline Dearden is the head teacher of Dorchester Middle School, a mainstream school with specialist provision for children with physical disabilitie... Read more

Latest News