Leicester lockdown could continue beyond July 4
City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby has announced that pubs, restaurants and other public venues in Leicester may be shut for another two weeks past the national "reopening" date of July 4.
Following a surge in the city, there have been government recommendations that the city maintains current restrictions for another fortnight.
Mayor Sir Peter told BBC's Today programme that the city could "remain restricted for two weeks longer than the rest of the country", and home secretary Priti Patel has previously acknowledge that the city may be subject to a "local lockdown".
Since the first positive case in the UK some time in early 2020, there have been almost 3,000 confirmed cases in Leicester. Of those, however, more than 866 have tested positive in the week up to June 23 - more than 25 per cent.
Sir Peter said that in an email from the government, representatives had "[suggested] continuing the present level of restriction for a further two weeks beyond 4 July".
He did, however, also criticise the messaging, stating that such information "does not provide us with the information we need if we are to remain restricted for two weeks longer than the rest of the country".
"I think it's very unclear as to what difference it would make if they continue the regulations in Leicester and why you would do it. How can it possibly make any difference?
"Frankly, if the virus is out of control and spreading in Leicester with the restrictions, I can't understand how extending them for a further two weeks would make any difference to that."
The home secretary has defended the decision by saying yesterday that: "With local flare-ups, it is right we have a local solution."
Boris Johnson said that: "We are concerned about Leicester, we are concerned about any local outbreak. I want to stress to people that we are not out of the woods yet."